Wednesday, August 09, 2006

Staring into the abyss

This is an interesting month, in the sense that I have absolutely no idea where I'll be at the end of it. Presumably France, ideally Paris, but you never know. Such periods of flux have become something of a yearly ritual. And sending off dozens of emails to prospective employers and landlords - I'm trying to keep the two separate this time round - is proving pretty time-consuming. Luckily I am not in ze sheet quite yet but Timberlife does seem to walk a hazardous tightrope between uproarious success and appalling failure without ever fully comitting to either (those of you who have ever lived in France will recognise this as efficient application of le système D).

Sometimes I consider taking drastic and definitive action, in a heroic all-guns-blazing, all-or-nothing gesture of defiance against the system. Not unlike Chief Leaf, who just left to spend two years in a remote Cameroon village, and has thus comprehensively amputated all four limbs that once held her to the career ladder. Or Luke, who's dropping everything to go and work in a Swedish restaurant in Perpignan. (Student city. Young Swedish clientele. Shameless, Luke, shameless, although possibly not quite so much as that nanny thing.)


Timber propaganda shot
You too could be this popular at parties.
(But only if you buy a digger.)

I suppose you'll have to read next week's Timberblogging to find out what happens. (I'm also thinking of bringing in other soap-style dramatic storylines to Timberblog. This will depend partly on audience reaction.) Meanwhile, regarding Timber's upcoming UK tour, nearly everyone has said "yes, I'd like to see you in London", which is great. Nearly everyone then continued "let's meet at half 7", which isn't.


Corrections Column
Qwik Crisp isn't a franglicism, as suggested on 23.7, it's the international trademark. We apologise for any offence, inconvenience, or freak microwave-related injuries caused.

3 Comments:

At 3:00 pm, Anonymous Anonymous opined,

I have been to the beach more times in the past week than I have in the past 2 years. I have worked in the evenings, painting while humming to the soft music, I have met many friendly southern French folk (who really contrast with the rude Parisian folk), I have improved my swedish and I am part of a new business start up and most aspects of this - from acquiring food licences to tightening the screws on the tables. I feel needed and am given more responsibility. I miss my Paris friends, but I am glad my days are no longer filled with drudgery.

Wishing you all the best from Perpignan,

The Shameless Swede-aholic.

 
At 10:20 pm, Anonymous Anonymous opined,

"I have met many friendly southern French folk"

That's because they're not southern French; they're Catalan!

 
At 12:13 am, Anonymous Anonymous opined,

Just because you are born in the catalan region doesn't make you catalan does it? They are actually born in France and the catalan thing is like 'imaginary borders' that are conceded to keep the peace. Or have I read the situation all wrong? Most people identify with France (and its language) rather than Catalan culture. Or am I mistaken?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home